Friday, May 16, 2014

My favorite boy

In the spring of 1995 we had just moved back to California from Colorado and we had another "surprise" baby on the way. The other "surprise" happened when we moved to Colorado so we decided we probably shouldn't move to another state for awhile. It took awhile for things to settle in for me but about the time it did, we found out that our surprise was also a BOY! Surprise!  After two princess girlie girls... I was excited for the new challenge.

Have you ever seen this... ?



So true. I was NOT expecting the level and consistency of noise. Neither were his sisters. And the dirt, grime, etc.... EWWWWW! (the "etc" was the worst)

With no further adieu... let me introduce to you... Matthew Hunter Crabtree!



I will interject here that my gorgeous eldest Amelia is expecting her third baby and we recently found out that it is indeed a BOY! YAY! However, the newest Hartzell youngen's gender has not been received well by his sisters. Funny to me because it is so exactly like how Molly herself responded to the news of a brother. But we all certainly adore "Bubba" now. (What his adoring nieces call him)


As I ponder what more to say about my boy, I have decided some of my thoughts need to be their own separate blog post.  Let's suffice to say boys are just different.  The way you feel about them, the way they feel about you, the dirt, their thought process, the noise, and the RESPONSIBILITY.

I'm going to assume, perhaps unfairly, that this feeling of responsibility may be unique to Latter Day Saint mothers.  But I vividly recall sitting in my hospital room, alone with MY SON, looking at him and thinking "I am holding a future priesthood holder. A future missionary. A future gentleman (we hope). A future husband. How on earth will I teach him how to be all these things? But thank you Lord for giving me this opportunity."

Luckily Hunter was an extremely easy baby so I had some peaceful moments over the next several months to let all that sink in.  And about that easy baby stuff, I have a theory that our third babies are easy so we won't call it all quits. I have met several people that were ready to give up after their 2nd and thought they'd give it ONE MORE CHANCE, only to have angel 3rd babies that make us forget how hard it was.

Hunter was a typical little boy with sisters. Meaning he was dirty- A LOT - and destructive while also being a great problem solver, but would also cry because he wanted his nails painted as well.  He wanted nothing more than to be like his daddy.  He went through a tantrum stage at about 3 that we have documented well with photos.  He was a picky eater but that thoroughly disappeared by his teens.  He was always the teacher's pet. ALWAYS.  And he was adored by all the ladies in the house.  Well, except for his little sister who he took great pride in being able to infuriate to a screaming state within seconds. I think we are finally, barely out of that stage.

Even before the divorce, daddy traveled a lot and would remind Hunter that he was the "man of the house" when he was not there.  One night I was up late and Hunter was with me and trying to keep his eyes open. When I asked him why he didn't just go to bed he said "Because I need to check the windows and doors before I can go to bed."  My heart did a huge "Awwwww" and I assured him I could do it that one time so he could just fall asleep.  (He was about TEN at the time).

Then came the rough spot. "the divorce"  I've learned that there is no way for me to know how it truly affected and continues to affect my babies.  We each had our own sadness and grief to deal with.  But Hunter was at a very pivotal time in a LDS boy's life. He was ready to receive the Aaronic Priesthood (if any of this brings up questions feel free to ask!).  He was ordained by a good family friend and we had many other friends there to share the day.  Such a sweet spirit was in our home that day.  And Hunter continued to be the "man of the house".

I should for time sake but I cannot leave out a great story from about that time.  It was Christmas. One of my favorite things is having lights on the house. But we were suddenly a family with the only man being a almost 12 year old.  However, my sweet boy came to me and said he could do the lights himself. He had "helped" dad many times so he had it all under control.  What's a mom to say?  But I shared my concern with our home teacher Eric Roweton and he said he had an idea. So the day Hunter had planned to hang the lights, Eric showed up. Only to bring a ladder in case Hunter needed it.  And hung around just in case Hunter needed him to hold something for him or some other easy task.  Low and behold, with his "helper", Hunter got the lights up and working quite well.  He was very proud of himself. And so was his mama.

Hunter's teens have been challenging for me.  After we moved to Utah he decided he wanted to go back and live with his dad in California during high school.  I had my concerns but his dad is a good dad and Hunter has turned out quite well.

Here we are, less than a month before my boy graduates from high school and is officially a "grown up".  I can't believe it. It can't have been 18 years since I sat with that baby in my arms.  But alas, it is true.  I couldn't be more proud of who he is.  His sisters insist he is my "favorite" but moms know we don't have favorites. As I already mentioned, and promised a separate post on, boys are just different. Our relationship is simple. If he is mad at me it lasts about 90 seconds and we are over it.  Well... except for one patch where a crazy girlfriend was involved... but I digress.  The boy can't wait to graduate and get on with life. He has chosen to attend the University of Utah (GO UTES!) which will bring him back to Utah and closer to mom.  We even get a good 6 weeks with him here this summer before he moves into the dorm. And we are over the moon excited.  Even his little sister. Which indicates great progress.  He's a smarty pants. As of now planning to be an attorney. And he is truly a gentleman. He shows his sisters what they should look for in a man.  And best of all... he loves his mommy!


Yikes... I almost forgot photos!

BUBBA!


Water polo stud.


Our Halloween attempt at reenacting "300"
(totally Hunter's idea)




No comments:

Post a Comment