Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mother

Next introduction.  I'd like to introduce my mother- Sandra Kay Smith- Connell.  Sandy.  How much I loved her goes without saying.  She was mommy.  And yes...I said was.  My mother died 28 years ago tomorrow. She died on my grandpa's birthday after a long battle with cancer.  I had just finished 8th grad.  My brother was almost 4 years old.

Of course I have many wonderful memories of my mother.  But I wish I could have known her when I was an adult.  For almost 10 years now I have been older than my mother ever was.  She was never 40.  She was never a grandmother.  I wish I was able to look to her at times for direction. 

I am even more sad for my brother who doesn't even really remember her.  And I am sad for her.  I can only imagine the pain of knowing you would be leaving your children forever.  We've both struggled from time to time but I am pretty sure she'd be happy with what we've done with our lives.  And I'm sure we'll see her again and have the privilege to talk to her.

Some things I remember- she loved red roses. She used a lotion called Rose Milk. She was the middle child. She was a loyal and loving friend.  She was a hard worker.  She took responsibility for her actions.  She loved liver and onions.  She introduced me to Der Wienerschnitzel (which I LOVE to this day).  She faced her trials with grace.



Sandra Kay Smith
October 10, 1948- June 16, 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment